Wednesday, June 07, 2006

 

Punky Moms and Schools

ON Mother’s Day I ran across a TNT frontpage article about Punky Moms who are carving out an identity of their own – and a diverse culture that is impacting schools. The opening paragraph sheds some light on this identity, “Their groove lies somewhere between Pantera, the Pogues and the PTA. They might stay at home with their kids – or not. Many sport body art – tattoos and piercings – or dye their hair pink, blue or other unnatural colors. They might not mind if their kids cuss at home.”

From what I am reading, as a whole, Punky Moms possess values that are very important to them and intentionally determine how they raise their children and live their lives. The website, http://www.punkymoms.com/, captures some of these values. Further on in the article, young punk moms are quoted and give examples of how their ideas play out. It is quite clear, that some of the philosophies and practices that are advocated by the punky moms are contrary to the typical middle-class public school institution. AND THAT IS THE POINT! Conformity to the acceptable middle-class values of family and life are to be challenged and questioned. I sense a disdain for conformity and even as I write this, I am sure that I have already raised the pierced eyebrows of many punky moms. “DEAR Punky Moms, I beg your patience as I try to understand and figure out how all this plays out in the public school arena.”

My point is not to squabble about the legitimacy of their choices versus societal expectations. In fact, some of the issues they raise are very much a part of what I know teachers are discussing: the value of children, the individuality of children, freedom to choose, need to work with the diversity of family structures, etc. However, I am concerned that schools will not be given the opportunity by the moms to help understand and figure out how they can support their child’s learning and best interest. My bet is that many of the punky moms, as well as others, are very suspicious of schools and school personnel. I even believe that many of them hated school and were harmed in different ways by traditional schooling. Schools are slowly becoming more culturally proficient, but it will take time and lots of partnerships with the diverse stakeholders. The more aware we become of diversity among our community, the more able we are to competently work with all students to help them succeed. I believe this begins with relationships and that is for another post …!

Comments:
Hi there. I'm one of the owners of Punky Moms.

I apologize for not being more timely in my response, however, I just stumbled across your blog.

I'd be more than happy to start a discourse with you about our community and schooling.

Yes, we do have some who are suspicious of schools. And many of us have issues with certain school policies, but for the most part we are all very pro-public school.

"I am concerned that schools will not be given the opportunity by the moms to help understand and figure out how they can support their child’s learning and best interest."

Actually, we all want to work with schools to find ways to best support our children's learning. Our problem often tends to be the preconceived notions that some teachers and other parents and PTA members have about us.

"The more aware we become of diversity among our community, the more able we are to competently work with all students to help them succeed."

Very true. And hopefully the schools who host our children's education are working as hard as we parents to embrace this diversity and help all the students to succeed.

Oh, and we have more than a few moms/members who are teachers themselves - from preschool all the way through college level.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?